Advising companies on property assets worldwide
Barry Gilbertson is a property expert with vast experience of advising businesses on their property assets, including twenty years helping corporates and lenders with distressed real estate portfolios. Barry supports clients in a number of ways and offers flexible and expert advice and guidance as and when it is needed.
Below are some of highlights of Barry’s projects in recent years:
- Appointed by Knight Frank LLP as non-executive consultant to support the Commercial Property Board and the Corporate Recovery team. January 2011 to date.
- Appointed as an independent, non-executive director to the main board of M I Developments, Inc., a real estate company which is listed on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges. The company has 105 industrial properties in 8 countries, with a rent roll of c. USD 185m pa. Barry also sits on the Audit Committee, the Compensation Committee and the Strategic Review Committee. July 2011 to date.
- Advice to the Board and Chief Executive of Spiralite Limited on specific issues over a six month period in 2011.
- Advice to support the sales director of Local Data Company Limited on industry targetting over six month period 2011.
- Instructed in autumn 2011 to advise the Board on potential investors during a £100m fund-raising Initial Public Offering for a £2.2bn theme park project.
- Leading the $15 billion work out of Lehman Brothers’ real estate investment assets and corporate property within the UK & European Administration.
- Leading the largest ever unwinding of a failed securitisation of some €750 million of property assets in Paris and across France.
- Acting for the Football Association and the Football Foundation in creating an on-line database (REFF) of every football playing surface in England, based on inspections of more than 44,000 pitches.
- Appointed by the Ministry of Defence as the Official Scrutineer to the residential land sales process. The £98 million sale of Colchester Garrison was 30 per cent higher than the client’s expectation.
- Acting for the purchaser of a £99 million estate of 34 buildings in Kensington and Chelsea requiring the redemption of more than 400 individual mortgages through 22 mortgage lenders.
- Advising various NHS Trusts on the creation and implementation of a property strategy compatible and integrated with their clinical strategy.
- Project director for the Public Building Limited in Administration, a £9 million build out of a £60 million arts complex in West Bromwich.
- Advising Enron Administrators on the disposal strategy for its UK properties.
- Receiver of Poole Developments Limited, a £9 million build out of a £55m scheme of 104 apartments and 27 shops in Dorset.
- Advising on the real estate assets of iaxis Limited In Administration, including major leasehold office assets in the UK and 22 European telehotel properties.
- Leading the real estate due diligence for the Exxon merger with Mobil, including all upstream and downstream assets in France and Germany.
- Leading the real estate due diligence for the Ford acquisition of KwikFit, involving 1,600 properties in seven European countries.
- Valuing Canary Wharf, then the UK’s largest real estate asset, for the Administrators of Olympia & York.
Barry handled a very complex international workout and asset sale for Bank of Scotland with great professionalism and integrity. The process involved multiple court cases in the UK and US, creating and managing a Board to manage several assets and ultimately managing a asset sale process through a bankruptcy proceeding. Barry created and led a strong team of professionals through a lengthy process that ultimately resulted in a successful sale.
John Gunther-Mohr, formerly Head of Real Estate Lending at Lloyds Bank Group USA
Please contact Barry to discuss how he may be able to help you.